Monday, August 23, 2010

I desire mercy, not sacrifice (Matthew 12:7) - Jan 15, 2010

This passage hit home with me. For some reason it seems more noble or worthy to sacrifice - sacrifice our time, habits, money, hobbies, etc. But Jesus reminds us what God truly asks of us. So how do I measure up?
When someone upsets me, do I show mercy? When someone does something I don't approve of, do I show mercy? When I feel offended or betrayed, do I show mercy?
What right do I have to show anything else but mercy?
God is endlessly merciful to me. We are to then be merciful to one another. It is the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant. (Matthew 18:21-35) Jesus has canceled our debts - not so that we would then make life more difficult for others or become a stumbling block to their faith.
Therefore, let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. (Romans 14:13)
Sadly, I find it easier to be merciful to those whom I do not know. My new focus is to be extra attentive in showing mercy to my most cherished - my family and dearest friends. Particularly my husband. They deserve it above all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment