I have wondered in the past about the moment that Christ asks for the cup to pass him, not by his will but by the Father's. It has made me ponder the conviction of God or why that moment occurred if God is all-powerful and perfect. I always thought of it in terms of Jesus. Today I read something in "Experiencing the Resurrection" by Henry and Melvin Blackaby that changed my perspective. Suddenly, I can see that moment in terms of God the Father.
That moment is not a demonstration of God's weakness or questioning or fearing the cross. That moment is a demonstration of God's love. That is the purpose of that moment.
Christ was willing to go to the cross. That's why he came. His thoughts and feelings in a moment like that, on the brink of his own torture and death, I will never truly know in this life, if ever. However, in that moment, God's intention for the cross and resurrection, to redeem his people and to sanctify and glorify his Holy name, is made perfectly clear. He does not waver despite the prayer from his Beloved Son. His conviction reveals his tremendous love for us.
If I could ever, in some crazy dimension, ever gather the conviction and strength to sacrifice my son for another (another who is ungrateful and offensive to me), a moment similar to Jesus on the Mount would surely shatter it. It's ridiculous to even attempt to compare myself to God, and I don't mean to do that. However, it puts God's love into better perspective, when I compare it to my capacity for love.
I love my son deeply, so much that I feel as though I may melt at times. However, this moment on the Mount makes it clear that even though I know my capacity for love and think it's pretty darn good, it is nothing compared to God's love.
No comments:
Post a Comment