Thursday, November 11, 2010

Following Jesus...in his gray car

The other morning while I was driving my son to daycare, I'm not sure what started it but, according to Matthew we were following Jesus in his car - his gray car.  I couldn't say that the car in front of us was gray, but according to Matthew Jesus' car is gray.  It was such a cute demonstration of a child's imagination and the precious things that they say.  As a mother, I was just thrilled that he came up with some story about Jesus all on his own.

One of my initial reactions to Matthew's excited chirps about Jesus' car way out in front of us was that Jesus is never that far away.  I don't have to chase Jesus, He lives in my heart.  As I strive to follow Jesus, He is walking that journey with me.  Even when I'm not paying much attention, He's there.  When I am distracted by the world or my own sin, He is there being ever so attentive to me.

We don't follow Jesus in his modest, gray car.  We follow his glorious Spirit.  The fun thing about following Jesus in his car is that it's sort of like a chase, an adventure.  Do we follow his Spirit in the same way?  Are we excited by the chase? 

Today I challenge you to follow Jesus with that same excitement.  Curiously and eagerly seek him out...gray car and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment