Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ministry to Women in My Life - Women on My Heart

I feel that something is stirring...has been stirring slowly for awhile. I feel myself drawing toward young women for the purpose of encouraging and guiding them. I spoke with a friend today who helps lead the college-aged/20-something group at our church. I wanted to better understand the structure and see if there was a need for a mentoring role in the group. They do try to pair the "kids" up with someone to disciple them - when they show interest in or are ready for that. I think that may be just the thing. I'm just beginning to pray about it.

I remember being a teenager and a college student - fumbling my way through the mixed messages and lies that our society tells young women about their worth and who they should be. It's really tough. Some women struggle with that their entire life, sadly. I would love to be an encouragement and guide for a young woman. They don't truly know their beauty or worth. That age group is preyed upon because their bodies are still young, skin is still tight and smooth, yet they probably don't have the clarity of mind or confidence to know the difference between the lies and the truth.

I can't bombard my schedule with randomness. I need to set some parameters. One commitment of mine is about to end, which will free up one to two nights a week, each week. Two Wednesdays a month are always for our LIFE group. Other than that, I need to be careful how I fill my time. My family needs me. I need to refocus because that is my ministry field. It should be first and foremost. Aside from that, I'm not feeling called to go on a big mission trip or really get involved in a local ministry for service projects. I'm passionate about building relationships with the people in my life - in my neighborhood, at the church, the police wives and the women Chad works with - for the purpose of building them up, pointing them to God, and even discipling them. That's where my focus needs to stay. I need to start saying "no" more often.

I think my answer is pretty clear. I need to tell the Ethiopia team "no." I need to not worry about getting involved in a local ministry. I can help mobilize others to go serve there. I can't be everywhere at once. I can't be everything to everyone - but I can be where I know I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment