We often become complacent in our daily lives - even those of us who live for the glory of God - because we are more focused on the overall sanctification of our lives rather than the intimate, daily moments of our lives. I don't believe it's wrong to have peace in knowing that we are work in progress, but to the point that we become complacent or not truly valuing the moment we are in, we may need a new perspective.
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven , where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:19-20 (ESV)
each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
1 Corinthians 3:13-15 (ESV)
To me, these passages beg the question, "Is the work I am doing today for today or for eternity?"
I like to be productive. I also like for my work to count for something. Our existence on earth is such a tiny, tiny percentage of our overall existence. So if I am going to be productive for the kingdom of God, I would like it to count for the majority of my existence – not just today, which is only a blink compared to eternity.
So what kind of work can I be doing for eternity? The answer? Anything that gives glory to God. All else may very well be done in vain. If I am speaking with the grocer, speak with him for the glory of God. If I am playing with my little boy, let it be for God’s glory, with eternity set in my heart. All things should be related directly to God because all things are from Him, for Him and possible through Him. In a more intimate way, am I doing all things without grumbling or complaining (no). If I did, it would be for the glory of God. Am I being helpful anytime I can? Does the work I’m doing count for eternity? Does it speak to God’s heart? Does it accomplish His work? Does it help someone else along or put a stumbling block before their feet?
Will my work survive the fire, which will rid me of all that was not rooted in His Word or for the purpose of the kingdom? It’s a sobering thought. What will I be left with after that cleansing fire?
I welcome the fire. It is cleansing. It is purifying. I will shed all that doesn’t matter and keep all that makes me like Christ. Hallelujah! The beauty is that I can begin to build up those things that I will keep for eternity – now. The challenge is that I should not waste my time with those things that will be a waste – gone in a blink.
It is an opportunity and challenge for us all. Live every day in light of eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment