Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Spirit of Christmas

The last few years I have especially yearned for God’s presence at Christmastime. Not for any specific reason except that I yearn for Him. I’m amazed and saddened at the number of people (some of whom are near and dear to me) who are overwhelmed, burdened or frustrated because of the season.  I believe that we do it to ourselves.  That may sound harsh.  Though we are not always in control of our surroundings or the family traditions we may find ourselves subject to, we are completely in control of our response and our heart.
My husband and I used to run the holiday season rat race with our families. We ran anywhere and everywhere they wanted us, as best we could. The result was not a happy or even content family, it was frustrated and dissatisfied. So last year, after a horrendous experience the year before, we put the brakes. For the preservation of our budding family (now complete with a little boy) and the preservation of family ties, we decided to stay home. 
We honestly weren’t sure what to expect. Would everyone throw stones at us? Would we regret not going? Were we making the wrong decision? In the end, as far as we can see to this day, no one threw stones, we didn’t regret not making the trip, and we believe it was the right decision. We enjoyed the peace of our Christmas.  We went to Christmas Eve service. We opened our presents as we wanted. We had a relaxing day where Chad and Matthew got to play with their new toys, and I was able to revel in the simplicities of the day. We’ve decided that we will once again stay home this year. 
We’d be glad to have family come visit us for the holidays. (Chad’s mom is visiting Chad’s brother and his family this year.)  And we know that we will very likely go back “home” other years. However, I believe that putting on the brakes was necessary in order to change a pattern that was potentially harmful to our family and to family ties. We are not ungrateful for our families, but Christmas is about Jesus.  If one’s traditions are not centered around Jesus, I fully believe that they are out of line.
It’s fun to make gingerbread houses and take the kids to sit on Santa’s lap. I’m not saying that all secular Christmas traditions are out of line. My point is that if Jesus is not the reason for celebrating the season (secular traditions and all), if you don’t talk about Jesus and read about Jesus and search for Him at this time of year, then you are not celebrating Christmas. You are celebrating winter and a fat man in a suit that doesn’t exist. Is winter and a made up man worth the overwhelming, burdening, frustrating traditions? And, spoiler alert, Jesus is not interested in you fulfilling certain traditions at the risk of it damaging your spirit. So you’re not doing Him any honors by subjecting yourself and your family to the hectic nature of it all.
We are not so helpless. We decide where to drive when we get behind the wheel of our car. We decide how to express our love. We decide when we will do what. Change is always possible. It is up to us to seek it and apply it.
Like our family example, no one will fault you for preserving your family or your sanity. For whatever it’s worth, I don’t personally condone skipping Christmas to go to Fiji just to get out of the headache of “family.” That’s just misguided and cowardly. What I do believe in is pulling those you love near you and deciding how to best honor Jesus….every day.
So I encourage you to take the time – make the time – to evaluate your holiday season and traditions. How do they celebrate Jesus? In what ways do you exemplify your faith and shine Christ’s love? How can you not only positively impact your own traditions but help others realize that the spirit of Christmas is not just a kind gesture – it’s the Holy Spirit and God’s love?
God bless you and keep you in peace, love and joy this year and every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment